Could you be a community befriender?

Help us build the community, support parents and get volunteer experience for your CV.

Get more info and sign up on this link:

https://www.cafamily.org.uk/news-and-media/could-you-be-a-befriender/

Our frequently asked questions (FAQs)

edited April 21 in Start here

You can use the community to chat and get support from parents who’ve been there, find local support, ask questions and talk to others who run support groups and find information, support and other parents of children with the same condition as yours.

Find answers to frequently asked questions here.

I want to talk to parents of children with the same diagnosis as my child.

I want to talk to parents who have had similar experiences to me.

I'm looking for expert support.

I’m running a support group and I have some questions.

I’m looking for local support.

How do I know this is a safe space?

I can’t find my child’s condition/ want to talk about something different.

How do I start a new discussion?

How do I send a message?

How do I edit my profile?

How do I report a post?

How do I give feedback or add comments and suggestions?

I would like to post a fundraising page, blog or research project.

Have a question that you don’t see here? Send Alex_CAF_mod a message and let us know.

I want to talk to parents of children with the same diagnosis as my child.

The best place to start is to join your conditions group. Our condition groups have links to information, local support and specific online support. You can also find and talk to other parents right there in the group.

Rarer conditions may have fewer members at first – but it’s worth sticking around as new parents will join all the time.

If you can’t find a relevant group, send Alex_CAF_mod a message and let us know.

I want to talk to parents who have had similar experiences to me.

Even if our children don’t have the same diagnosis, we still have lots of similar experiences. You can talk about these in our general discussion section.

We’ve set up some general topics but if you’d like to see something different, let us know.

I’m looking for expert support.

We can’t give you expert support through the community at the moment. You could call our helpline or ask on Facebook, Twitter or via email.

I’m running a support group and I have some questions.

Take a look at our support group topic – there’s some FAQs there and a chance to get answers from other people too.

I’m looking for local support.

We’re working on making it as easy as possible for you to find people and groups in your area.

At the moment:

How do I know this is a safe space?

Our community guidelines were created with community members. You can read them here.

The community is moderated by Contact a Family within working hours (9-5) - with some additional moderation outside working hours where necessary. We will hide any posts that don’t meet the community guidelines. If you're in crisis and in need of immediate emotional support outside of working hours, the Samaritans are there to listen 24 hours a day.

If you are worried about a post, you can report it confidentiality by sending Alex_CAF_mod a private message or by clicking on the report post button.

All our moderators use the same name and account as community members and moderators told us this makes it easier for them. But don’t worry – we’re all real people.

Other community members can only see your username, location and a few other details which you can add to your profile if you like. If you choose to share more details, it’s safer to do so through a private message.

I can’t find my child’s condition/ want to talk about something different.

Let us know and we’ll set this up for you.

How do I start a new discussion?

Click on the ‘New Discussion’ button on the left.

How do I send a message?

Click on the ‘inbox’ button next to your profile picture (in the top right-hand corner - it's quite small at the moment). This will bring up a little menu where you can see recent private messages or send a new message. You can send a message to one other person or to lots of members.

If someone includes you in a conversation that you don’t want to see, you can click ‘leave conversation’ on the left-hand side to leave the message group.

To message a moderator, start typing Alex_CAF_mod and select this from the list.

How do I edit my profile?

Click on the little settings cog in the top right-hand corner. A drop down menu will appear. Select ‘Edit my profile’. You can make changes to your picture, password and notification preferences by selecting an option from the menu on the left-hand side.

How do I report a post?

Click on the 'Flag' button under a post. Select 'Report' from the list. This will give you a chance to tell us what is worrying you. Only a moderator will see your comment. We aim to check all reports within 24 hours.

How do I give feedback or add comments and suggestions?

We need your feedback to make sure we get things right. Add your suggestions and ideas here. If you have a complaint, please email community@cafamily.org.uk.

I would like to post a fundraising page, blog or research project.

We have a section here for blogs. If you’re looking for research participants, please email community@cafamily.org.uk to tell us a bit more about your project and ask permission to post. We're sorry but we don't allow fundraising posts or petitions.