Expecting first child and found out at 20wk scan that our baby has a birth defect

Hello, I am expecting my first child and I am currently 27 weeks pregnant. At our 20 week scan we found out that our babys left leg has only developed up to the knee so she has a missing limb. This was a huge shock to us but we have come to terms with it but I am looking for anybody who has been through this or knows of anybody in a similar position. Thank you :)

Comments

• Hi @NatashaThomas and welcome to the community. You probably have a lot of unanswered questions at the moment. We're glad you've found us and we hope others who can identify with your situation will be along soon to share their experiences. We're still a fairly new community so you may not get a response straight away but stick with us! It might be a good idea to say hello in the Introductions section as well.

If you have any questions about the community, or need any help finding your way around the boards, please don't hesitate to ask.

Take care

Alex (Contact a Family)

• Hi. Sorry you're having to deal with this. I have a friend whose daughter had the same happen but with her arm. I know it's not quite the same but she is now nearly a teenager and a champion runner and surfer. Hope all goes well with the birth and that your baby is otherwise healthy! X

• Hi @NatashaThomas

Hopefully you will get some parents sharing their experiences here but in the meantime, you may also like to know about Steps, a national charity that supports families who have children with lower limb abnormalities. This includes their Family Contact Service that can help link you with others in similar situations. I hope you find this helpful.

Take care

Alex (Contact a Family)